Friday, November 28, 2008

giving thanks

Thanksgiving seemed like a good time to start a blog to chronicle the things we do (rather than complain about the myriad that don't get done), but alas some kind of non-edible cookies got in the way. So, here I am a day later on a new computer--a happy coincidence--beginning my journey.

I've been thinking a lot about traditions lately, maybe because Emily, now 2, has many daily traditions--such as choosing a pull-up with three princesses on it. So, even though I was the only woman over age two at Thanksgiving this year, I tried to set a pretty table, make some old-standby dishes, and tried a new recipe. This may very well be the beginning of a tradition, I've decided. The old standby this year was my aunt's refrigerator mashed potatoes and the new (to me) recipe was my dear grandmother's green bean casserole topped with corn flakes.

I don't think I ever tried the green bean casserole as a child, but I do remember there was always quite a hullabaloo around the table any time my mother or grandmother made it. Something about green beans and corn flakes always made me a bit squeamish. This year, I decided to make it my new dish. I'm glad that I finally had the maturity to not turn up my nose and run. My grandmother would have been pleased to see a green vegetable on my plate, too.

Mama Elaine's Green Bean Casserole

2 cans green beans (I used 4 cups of frozen cut green beans, cooked and cooled)
parmesan cheese (she used the kind in the green can, I used grated fresh)
3 Tbl onion
2 pieces of celery
2 Tbl butter
1 Tbl flour
salt
pepper
1 tsp sugar
8 oz sour cream
2 cups corn flakes (measure 2 cups, then smoosh to 1 cup)
1 Tbl butter

Butter casserole dish (I used a 2 quart round), sprinkle with parmesan. Add green beans. In a skillet or the microwave, saute 2 Tbl butter, onion, and celery. Add 1 Tbl flour, salt, pepper, 1 tsp sugar and stir. Add sour cream. Pour over beans. Sprinkle with more parmesan. In a bowl, mix corn flakes and 1 Tbl melted butter. Spread over beans. Cook at 350 about 30 minutes until hot in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment