Thursday, March 5, 2009

Literacy Thursday, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault is quickly becoming one of my favorite children's books. I had never heard of the book until I noticed that day after day Emily's sheet from school said they had read it in class, so I bought a copy for home. I didn't realize until I looked up the book for my blog that one of the authors, Bill Martin Jr., paired with Eric Carle to write Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (another household favorite).
I chose this book for Literacy Thursday this week because it reminds me of Dr. Seuss' style. "A told B and B told C, 'I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree. . . '" The rhythm of the book makes it fun to read outloud. Like Seuss' work, it also has great nonsense phrases like, "Skit skat skoodle doot. Flip. Flop. Flee." that you just can't help but read with enthusiasm.

1 comment:

  1. I adore Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Such a great pick for a day focused on literacy. I read this book with my 3 year old pre-schooler. It is a favorite of ours. We even created letters to use as props during our reading sessions.

    I couldn't agree more that this book brings a smile to both the parent and the child.

    So glad that you joined the SITS community. Your blog is an absolutely wonderful addition!

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete