Tuesday, December 30, 2008

what's cookin', part deux

Ok, so I've fallen off the wagon already. My pot roast was less tender than previous attempts -- I'm blaming it on the onions that formed a sort of platform for the roast in the pot. I think it is more tender when it sits in its own grease (er, juices) all day instead of lofted above them on an onion. I couldn't face leftover roast or meatloaf last night. I literally took the meatloaf out of the fridge, put it on a plate to warm it, almost hurled, and put it right back into the fridge for safe keeping. So, I did a takeout double feature -- chinese for me, kabobs for Andy. Fortunately for our pocketbook, I was back on the wagon tonight with Dinner Doctor Popcorn Soup, sans the popped corn, and Jiffy cornbread. Tasty! I really try to avoid vegetables that come in cans, but this is hard to beat. Next time I might add some potatoes or cheese. We just might make it to the end of the week without another takeout meal. Dinner with friends on New Year's Eve doesn't count against us, does it?

Dinner Doctor Popcorn Soup

2 cans creamed style corn
1 can corn kernels
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups half-and-half
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 Tbl butter
1 tsp sugar

Heat corn, stock, half-and-half, and bouillon on medium heat, stirring frequently until hot but not boiling, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and sugar.

I used low sodium corn and free range broth. The recipe suggests topping with plain popcorn and a dash of pepper sauce. I served it with Jiffy cornbread in a cast-iron skillet.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment