Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's my potty, I can cry if I want to

I'm a believer in letting little kids choose their own adventure, so to speak, when it comes to things that won't hurt them. Markers (washable) instead of crayons, ok fine. Read a book or play with playdough. Mismatched clothes. Fine. (None of this is consistent with my control-freak nature, but I get by.) Anyway, this kid-in-charge attitude has extended to sleep training and breastfeeding, and now to potty training. (I guess it's my take on attachment parenting.)

Unfortunately, we started potty training about ten months ago and sometimes I think we've gone nowhere. I got the potty out when Emily started doing her business in the bathtub at about 18 months. Fortunately, she knew right away what she was supposed to do on the potty. The only catch is that she only uses the potty when the mood strikes her. The more I mention it, the less likely she is to go. I let her choose between pull-ups, training pants, and underwear but her behavior seems the same regardless of what kind of underpants she is wearing. She's not concerned about "keeping Dora (or Tinkerbelle or Elmo) clean" and all the stickers in the world wouldn't tear her away from her toys when she needs to "go." Today she refused to put on a pull-up and also refused to go to the bathroom before we left the house; several hours later, we were pulling over to change wet pants. We've gone through several day stretches without pee accidents, but she nearly always poops in her pants. I think she's just got more important things to do than stop what she's doing to go potty. I keep hoping that one day she'll wake up and say, "ya know, I'm tired of messing up my pants." I just hope that happens before I run out of patience.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your potty training pain. I have two in diapers since my second baby came along, and I wish I could find the magic trick to motivating my toddler to use the potty. I don't want to force it, but I'd love it if he'd get on with it already! Let me know if you find something that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, I remember hearing way back when that it is a little harder for the child to adjust/learn to #2 on the potty instead of elsewhere. Hang in there! :o)

    And welcome to the SITS community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally sympathize. My DD wasn't fully potty trained until she was 3. I think it was a bit of a control thing with her. She knew I wanted her to potty, and she didn't want to do everything exactly the way I wanted. Anyway...this too sahll pass :) Welcome to the SITS community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'm so happy to be (years) beyond this stage. Try to remember it will happen eventually. They don't usually like to go to high school in diapers. LOL

    Dropping by to welcome you to SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys weren't really ready for potty training until they were much older. One was 3 1/2 and the other was 4! But it was so easy when they were completely ready.

    I'm with the SITS Welcome Wagon! I've been a follower and supporter of SITS since it started, and I've read so many fun blogs, met so many amazing women. It's a really great online community. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my sister FINALLY had success potty training her daughter after months of trying EVERYTHING.

    the secret: every time her daughter used the potty she got to call a Disney Princess. my sis arranged 5 or 6 friends including her sisters to be princesses. she had a lot on reserve so she would be sure to get ahold of SOMEONE at a moments notice, anytime anywhere. she would ring us up and say, "Snow White (or whoever), Reese has some very big news for you and put R on the phone. Reese would jabber away and the princess would reply in a very princess sounding voice and exclaim her pride...yadda yadda...it worked. no more accidents, no more problems, fully toilet trained.

    THEN...about a month later they happened to go to D-Land and they ran into Cinderella. Reese walked up to her very exitedly and said, "Hi Cinderella it's me Reese, you remember I called you when i went poop on the potty?" and without skipping a beat Cinderella replied, "Well hello Reese, of course I remember you. Are you still using the potty like a true princess does?"

    ummm yeah...the magic of disney...potty talk included.

    ANYWAY...might be worth a try! GOOD LUCK!

    ok now the reason i came by was to welcome you to SITS! you are going to love the SITStahood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh potty training. We've both had our share. They really just do it their own time, like everything else in life!

    Welcome to the SITStahood! We are thrilled to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete